Thursday, August 30, 2012

Motor Spin Up

I finally got the manual transmission fluid in and put the wheels back on the car. Once that was done, it was time for a 12 volt motor spin test.

Well right off the bat the coupling + flywheel were wobbling! The coupling didn't quite make it onto the taper locking part on the shaft and the pressure plate actually would hit part of the transmission!

Now here I was dreading what I thought I had to do next: take everything out and start over!

But instead I decided to try something else, I loosened the two coupling bolts then tried using a screwdriver as a wedge to get the coupling more centered. It worked better, but still not great. Then my dad had the idea of running the system on 12 volts and using the wicked strong clutch to force the coupling center and it worked! The flywheel looks correct, no more clicking sounds and the transmission no longer vibrates!

Here is a video of the motor spinning properly:



I also picked up supplies to build the mounts for the A/C and P/S so that's what I will be doing tomorrow. I really want to be working on the control tray Saturday so I'm hoping these brackets won't be too bad, I did buy new metal cutting blades to make sure nothing stops me.




No comments:

Post a Comment