Friday, March 22, 2013

Range Testing

Over the past few days I've been slowly testing my EV to determine it's current efficiency. Last night I did a round trip of 39.6 miles on one charge. For the first 17 miles I did not have my heat on, and the remainder I did. It was also extremely hilly and the speed ranged from 30 MPH to 45 MPH for most of the drive.

As of this morning it took 15.41 KWh to recharge the pack, or 389 WH/Mi from the wall. As the charger is at best 92% efficient according to the manual, that means my EV is currently 358 WH/Mi from the batteries.

That boils down to is I currently have a 58 mile range in the winter. Not too bad for the winter, but I want more. My goal is to have at least an 70 mile range in the summer, meaning I need to get my WH/Mi down to 298 or lower. There are still things I can do that are quick to make improvements. I need to adjust the left rear camber more and I need to pump the tires up to 40 PSI, I think they are around 32 PSI right now.

I can also explore aero dynamic mods, such as grill blocks, lowering my front suspension to match the rear, wheel skirts, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. My name is Adrian. I'm from Argentina. I found your blog researching electric cars conversions.
    I purchased a chassis with a fiberglass bodywork, which is replica of the BMW M1.
    My project is to make electricity. I dare to write to ask suggestions for the project.
    I studied for electronic technician. I am a teacher at a technical high school and also worked in a telecommunications company.

    If I spend a step email you photos of the car I bought. Any suggestions you can give me is welcome.
    I hope you can help me and answer me. Thank you.

    Greetings.

    Adrian

    pd: My email is todoledmdp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete